March 17, 2011

Roadtrip Music - St. Patrick's Day Soundtrack

Back in my younger days, I was quite fond of whiskey, bourbon, and scotch. While other girls my age were sipping on cocktails and martinis, I was nursing a neat glass of Talisker single malt scotch aged 10 years or maybe just knocking back some Jack Daniels. But over time, my love has waned. More accurately, my ability to bounce back from a night of drinking has significantly deceased throughout the years. But once a year (and only once a year), I still drink whiskey.

And that time is tonight: St. Patrick's Day.

My relationship with St. Patrick's Day is a little difficult. While I think it is a great day to celebrate Irish heritage or just get blind drunk, I am not Irish. I am Scottish. When I was little, my grandmother on my mother's side would sit me down with her and tell me about our Scottish heritage. My family has also embraced our heritage. One of the funniest things I've ever seen was my parent's reaction when they found out my sister was dating a guy with the last name "Cromwell." (For those who don't get why that's funny, brush up on your European history a little). In pursuit of my Scottish roots, I actually spent some time living in Edinburgh and reading Scottish literature. Suffice it to say: I'm really, really into being Scottish.

So tonight I will be wearing my shirt that says, "Suck It, I'm Scottish" and joining my friends with a glass of whiskey to celebrate St. Patrick's Day. And of course, I have made a playlist to drink to.

Let's Drink Until We Can't Feel Feelings Playlist
  1. "Kentucky Bourbon" Murder by Death
  2. "As Long as There is Whiskey in the World" Murder by Death
  3. "Alabama Song (Whiskey Bar)" The Doors
  4. "Bottle of Jesus" Beth Heart
  5. "My Alcoholic Friends" Dresden Dolls
  6. "Alcohol" Gogol Bordello
  7. "When the Heat Dies Down" The Kaiser Chiefs
  8. "Leeds United" Amanda Palmer
  9. "The Seven Deadly Sins" Flogging Molly
  10. "I'm Shipping Up to Boston" Dropkick Murphys
  11. "Drunken Lullabies" Flogging Molly
  12. "The Spicy McHaggis Jig" Dropkick Murphys
  13. "Another Irish Drinking Song" Da Vinci's Notebook

Share/Save/Bookmark

No comments:

Post a Comment