April 29, 2009

Missouri State Capitol - Jefferson City, MO

Yesterday, I had the opportunity to practice what I preach. I tell people the importance of being involved in the political process so I hopped a bus to Jefferson City, Missouri to join a group of citizen lobbyists. We went to speak with members of the Missouri legislature about current bills affecting women's reproductive rights.

This blog, however, is not about my political beliefs. It is not about my efforts as a feminist or a pro-choice activist. So don't worry, there will be no political ranting. Only a post about my admiration for the Missouri State Capitol.

When I went to Topeka, the capital city of Kansas, I was struck by the horrible contrast between the depressing economic conditions surrounding the capital building. But in Missouri, everything was as I would imagine the seat of government being. There were historical statues and fountains outside the building, beautiful green lawns and trees.

Of course, the stately building was complete with Roman style columns and a dome. (Fun Fact: Only a few state capital buildings lack a dome roof, including Alaska, Delaware, Hawaii, Louisiana, New York, and New Mexico.)

Inside, I walked through several historical displays relating to the history of Missouri. Unfortunately, I didn't have time to stop and explore them. I had to hurry into the rotunda with its beautiful domed ceiling covered in artwork to hear the rally speeches. As impressed as I was by the words of our speakers, I was also impressed by the stately surroundings. (Fun Fact: The 4,500 pound chandelier that hangs in the rotunda took a fall back in November 2006. It had been lowered for maintenance but fell the remaining five feet to the ground and had to be sent to St. Louis for repairs.)

The Missouri State Capitol was truly beautiful, I only wish I had more time to enjoy it. But I'm sure I will find time for another trip back so I can take time to explore the grounds and

Total Trip Time: 10 hours
Total Travel Distance:
Soundtrack: "Oh, Perilous World" Rasputina

No comments:

Post a Comment